In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, your Official Tournament Store (OTS) can now offer Remote Duel, a new option available to OTS to hold Sanctioned Tournaments.
With the disruption of regular in-store events that allowed OTS to hold tournaments and engage with their community, it’s become difficult for Duelists to regularly meet up for Duels. We hope that by using Remote Duel, Duelists and OTS can stay engaged and play Yu-Gi-Oh! while respecting social distancing and other health guidelines and staying safe during these challenging times.
Remote Duel can be used for four (4) types of tournaments:
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution
- Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME
Please contact your local OTS to see if they are running Remote Duel tournaments. Note that OTS maintain the right to set entry fees for tournaments, provided they give Duelists commensurate prizing. Commensurate prizing can be delivered to Duelists using appropriate means available to them within the COVID-19 requirements of their local, state and federal governments, including tracking the prizing and holding it at the OTS until they resume normal business, offering curb side pickup or utilizing their online store (via mail service).
This list will be updated periodically – if you don’t see your local store listed, reach out to and encourage them to participate in Remote Duels.
For each properly reported Yu-Gi-Oh! DUEL LINKS Remote Duel Tournament, the OTS will receive one of each of the two Duel Links Token Chips for that month, to award per the chart below.
|1st Place||Receives their choice of one of the two monthly Duel Links Token Chips|
|2nd Place||Receives the other Duel Links Token Chip|
As Remote Duel requires a great deal of communication between the OTS and Duelists, we have set up an Official Yu-Gi-Oh! Remote Duel Discord Server. Discord is free to use, and we want to help OTS become familiar with this platform.
Setting up for Remote Duel
Your setup for a Remote Duel tournament will depend on which tournament type the OTS will be running. For all tournament types, and for the best possible experience, a stable, wired internet connection is highly recommended. Also, ensure you have an account for the communication method assigned by the OTS, such as Discord. Below are links to brief setup guides for each type of tournament.
We’ve put together guides for setting up your Remote Duel, and best practices:
- Remote Duel Set Up Guide
- Remote Duel Best Practice Guide
- Remote Duel Pause / Play card
- Official KDE-US Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME Tournament Policy Remote Duel Addendum
Some important things to keep in mind:
- For Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links tournaments
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links setup guide
- All Duelists must use the latest software version of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links.
- If you are downloading Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links for the first time, you will need to be at STAGE 4 to enter the PVP Arena. This will require playing the game for about 15 minutes.
- For Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist and Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution tournaments
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist / Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution setup guide
- All Duelists will need to use the same video game system, i.e PS4 vs PS4, Switch vs Switch, etc.
- Duelists must use the same game – Legacy of the Duelist and Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution are not cross-compatible.
- Once match pairings are determined by the OTS, one Duelist at each Table will need to act as the Host Player and setup a Multiplayer match. The settings selected must be based on the Tournament rules set up by the OTS.
- For Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME tournaments
- Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME setup guide
- TCG Duelists will need a webcam, smartphone or tablet to display their field to their opponent.
- The camera needs to be flipped/upside-down, so it displays correctly, for the opponent.
Remote Duel Tournament Timing
Due to their nature, Remote Duel tournaments will require more logistics and coordination between the Duelists playing remotely, thus, the OTS will set the timing for the results of each Round to be reported. For example, the time between Rounds may vary from a typical Sanctioned Tournament at the OTS.
Each OTS and their community may have different timing requirements, so tournaments can be held with as much flexibility as needed. Even multiple day tournaments are acceptable for Remote Duel if an OTS feels it is necessary.
Remote Duel Promotions!
There’s a variety of Remote Duel promotions that Duelists of all types can participate in, including card giveaways, special videos and more. Visit the official Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG YouTube channel for upcoming videos, and follow the official Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook pages to find out how you can win copies of exclusive cards.
Past prize cards have been Secret Rare versions of United We Stand, Guardian Angel Joan, and Palladium Oracle Mahad.
It’s Time to Remote Duel!